The Fallowfield family may have settled in Great Strickland in Westmoreland from at least the 14th Century. It would seem that they were connected, by marriage, with the Stricklands of Sizbergh castle. Their coat of arms differs only in colour from that of the Stricklands.
In 1883 two brothers, Thomas A. Fallowfield and Robert A. Fallowfield, each bought 160 acres parcels of land under the Homestead Act. They were some of the earliest settlers to homestead in the Kensington Prairie District of Surrey.
Thomas and Robert's parents were Richard Atkinson and Jane Fallowfield. Richard was born in 1800 at Crackenthorpe, England. He met Jane Fallowfield the daughter of William Fallowfield and Jane Swidenbank.
Richard owned and operated the Elephant pub in Crackenthorpe. His housekeeper was Jane Fallowfield, who later operated the Inn after Richard's death. He was listed in the census as Innkeeper, Spirit Merchant, Tea Dealer, Grocer and Landed Proprietor.
Jane Fallowfield was baptized in Grayrigg, England on October 30, 1828. She was the housekeeper for Richard Atkinson, owner of the Elephant Inn. She had seven children, all by Richard Atkinson and, upon his death, Robert, the eldest son, inherited the inn, but Jane actually ran the establishment. They lived in Brockham Cottage, Crackenthorpe, next to the Elephant Inn. All her children were christened in St Michael's Parish Church in Appleby.
The seven children off Richard Atkinson and Jane Fallowfield are:
Even though Richard Atkinson and Jane Fallowfield never married, Jane ensured that society knew the relationship and the father of her children. Her first son was named after his father "Richard Atkinson Fallowfield". All of the other children had their father's surname, "Atkinson", as their middle name.
All the children were christened at St. Michael's Parish Church in Appleby.
Upon his death on June 10, 1860, Richard left the Elephant Pub to his oldest son Richard, who did not want it, and who in turn transferred it to his next youngest brother, William Atkinson Fallowfield. William operated the Elephant Inn Pub but his mother Jane Fallowfield operated it on a day to day basis and effectively managed it.
Jane Fallowfield married after Richard Atkinson's death. She married in St. Michael's Bongate (Anglican) Appleby where all her children were baptized. She married George Bird, a farmer, son of Henry Bird also a farmer. She gave her father's name as William and the witnesses were William and A. Jameson. She gave her occupation as Inkeelper.
The two brothers, a year apart in age, immigrated to Canada in 1881, landing in Toronto. After a few months, they went to Fort William (now Thunder Bay) where they worked in a stamp mill for about a year and a half. Feeling the call of the west, they traveled, via Chicago, by train to San Francisco where they boarded a ship to Victoria, BC. In 1883 they continued on to New Westminster and found available land to homestead in Surrey.
Henry T. Thrift was a land agent marketing available homestead lands in Surrey. With his direction the Fallowfield brothers bought adjoining quarter sections of land in the Kensington Prairie district of Surrey. Thomas bought land on the North West corner of Brown and Coast Meridian Roads, while Robert bought across the road on the North East corner of Brown and Coast Meridian.
When Thrift came with the brothers to see the place, Mr. Thrift said it reminded him of Kensington in England. It was Dominion land, part of the original Canadian Pacific right–of–way for railroad building which had been exchanged with the government for a grant on the prairies.
Henry Thrift was the Clerk, Collector and Assessor for the Municipality of Surrey. He became aware of the many areas of good land awaiting settlement and persuaded Council to permit him to publish information about settlement prospects in Surrey. His advertisements got a quick response as settlers began coming into the areas south of the Serpentine River, south of Clover Valley, into the areas now known as Kensington Prairie and East Kensington.
Edward Parr was the first to respond. Then William Figg, whose father had been killed by a falling tree years earlier, came from England. The Fallowfield brothers, Tom and Robert; Sam Walker who, soon after his arrival had a narrow escape from being murdered by a settler whose mind was deranged by loneliness; Elisa Pickard; W.C. Jones; James Crutchly; William Collishaw; Edward M. Carncross, whose brother Charles was already established in Surrey. All came to farm in East Kensington and on Kensington Prairie.
The Surrey Story. G. Fern Treleaven p43
By the time the brothers homesteaded on Kensington Prairie, the area around was alive with logging and mills working for the Royal City Milling Company headquartered in New Westminster. During these early times all the Parr and Fallowfield men worked for the camps at one time or another. (See Logging in South Surrey)
The hillside south above the Fallowfield homesteads and south beyond North Bluff Road in a wide sweep east and west overlooking Semiahmoo Bay was the finest stand of timber imaginable.
While logging camps were operating, the brothers supplied them with meat, some raised on their own land, the rest obtained from neighboring farmers. Delivery was difficult in those days with no proper roads, and camps scattered all over Surrey. Robert had to drive his team and wagon many miles round–about to reach his customers.
At the time of their arrival a major logging ditch ran through Thomas' quarter section. John Tompson, as a young man, worked for Mr. Fallowfield. (See Tompson Family) One of John's many responsibilities was to keep the logging ditch clear of debris. John provided a detailed description of the operation of the logging ditch.
A feature of Kensington Prairie farmlands was the logging ditch which ran from the foot of the hill south of Brown Road to the Nicomekl River. The logging ditch dates back to the 1880's. It was dug by hand from the foot of the hill south of Brown Road to the Nicomekl River. The work was done by Chinese labour gangs, with many of the workers having been brought to British Columbia for construction work on the Canadian Pacific Railway.
The ditch is still in use, as a drainage and irrigation facility. There is now an ARDSA pumping station located on it, at the Nicomekl.
Tom Fallowfield took up his farm in 1883. He had worked in logging the hillside to the south for a couple of years earlier. Hauling the logs down to the logging ditch was done using teams of oxen.
The logging ditch ran through the Fallowfield farm, near the barn. The foundations of the lock gates were still visible when John Tompson worked there. He said that the ditch had four locks to provide the necessary "head" of water to float the logs down from the foot of the ridge to the river.
Water for the logging ditch came mostly from a small creek at the foot of the hillside. The lock gate would be closed; the water level gradually rose; then the gate at the lower end of that upper lock would be lifted up. The water and all the logs would go rushing down the ditch to the next lower lock. The logs were made up into booms; tugs came up the river from Mud Bay, and the booms were towed to the Royal City Mills on the Fraser River near New Westminster.
Looking Back at Surrey: A More Rugged Surrey pp. 9–10
When the Fallowfield brothers took up their land in Kensington Prairie there was a log house on the piece Thomas homesteaded and the two lived there until Robert married, and he built a house on his own quarter section. The areas closer to Mud Bay Road were easier to clear due to their periodic flooding. The area further south as the land began to rise toward the southern uplands was more heavily timbered and much harder to clear. As a result the early homes were built mid–way between Brown Road and Mud Bay Roads (32nd Ave. and 40th Ave) along Coast Meridian Road.
The lumber for the Fallowfield home had to be brought from New Westminster and up the Nicomekl River by scow, and then eased by pike pole up the logging ditches, that ran through Tom Fallowfield's farm.
By the mid–1890s the Nicomekl River was cleared of snags, the neck of the oxbow in the river had been dug through by the local farmers, and navigation on the river was possible as far as the Halls Prairie Road Bridge. Boats would enter the river and sail as far as Elgin and then turning around backing up the river as far as Hall Prairie Road. When heavily loaded it was easier for the boat to navigate down the river.
Bell was born April 11, 1861 in Crackenthorpe, England. She married a Mr. Searcy. They had one son,Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield, born in 1883 in England.
Thomas married Margaret Wilhelmina Gilpin in 1904 in England. Margaret was born in England in 1885.
Elizabeth (Bell) along with Thomas and Margaret and their family came to Canada in 1907. Elizabeth lived at 1041 Robson Street and 5108 Gladstone Avenue in Vancouver. Elizabeth passed away on January 1, 1946.
Thomas and Margaret came to Canada in 1907 with two children. They had four children:
Robert came to Surrey with his brother Thomas in the spring of 1883 and settled in the Kensington Prairie area. Robert bought the homestead right from a Mrs. Milton. After two or three years on that homestead, Robert bought the right to a homestead from a Mr. Farnum. His holdings were on the NE corner of Brown and Coast Meridian Road (32nd Ave. And 168th St.) extending north to Mud Bay Road (40th Ave.)
In the early years Robert lived with his brother Thomas in a log cabin that was on Tom's property when they arrived. That situation remained until Robert met and proposed to Frances Ann Parr. He then built a house and barn on his own homestead. The house was built of planks from a Blaine mill and was located on the homestead about halfway between Brown and Mud Bay Roads on Coast Meridian. As the family grew so did the house up to about nine rooms. The building and its surrounding land had been sold and no longer belonged to the Fallowfields when the house burned.
In June 1887 he married Frances Ann Parr. The Parr family had been the first settlers into the Kensington Prairie area and homesteaded the NE quarter section of Coast Meridian and Mud Bay Roads (168th St. and 40th Ave.) Edward and Mary (nee Flowers) had met and married in California. Mary Flowers was born in Grass Valley, California.
Mr. Parr came from California to British Columbia looking for gold. Miner Edward Parr had immigrated to the United States from Cornwall, England, staying for a time in Wisconsin, and then traveling west to California after gold was discovered there in 1848.
When he came to B.C. during the Cariboo gold rush in the early 1860's, Parr left his wife and children in the States. After staking several claims he went back to California, brought the family to Canada, settled them in a rented house in Clover Valley (Cloverdale), Surrey, and returned to his gold–hunting only to find his best claims had been "jumped" in his absence.
If he had been a Canadian citizen this couldn't have happened. Edward Parr stayed in the interior working on roads for awhile before joining his family in Surrey. Then, with older son and namesake he filed on a half section west of the Coast Meridian Road along what is now the Kensington–Mud Bay Road.
Along the Way... "Richard (Dick) Fallowfield". Margaret Lang Hastings p136
The Parr family went on to be a very prominent pioneer family of Surrey, having a store in Cloverdale for many years. (See Parr Family History)
Robert Fallowfield married Frances Ann Parr on June 21, 1887 at the home of her sister, Mrs. Dan Johnston at Mud Bay. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Alexander Dunn.
They moved into the newly completed home Robert had built on his homestead. After a year on the homestead Robert moved his family to Campbell River Road and opened a butcher shop in Blaine. At that time there were a number of logging camps all across the southern part of Surrey and Mr. Fallowfield delivered meat to those camps.
The family moved back to Kensington Prairie in 1889, where Robert did some farming and also bought and butchered beef and sold it. Robert found it necessary to work away from the farm part of the time, in order to supplement the earning from the farm. He turned his hand to many things; for some years he worked in the logging camps. He traveled to the State of Washington where he bought horses for shipment in carloads to Surrey where they were then sold to the logging camps and farmers.
For many years Mrs. Fallowfield operated a stall at the Farmers' Market at New Westminster, where she sold the produce from the farm. Kensington Prairie was a long way from New Westminster. Like many of the settlers in those early days, Mrs. Fallowfield had to leave the farm in the early hours of the morning every Friday in order to be on the market when it opened. This trip was made by team and wagon, over the Old Yale Road.
In addition to his many occupations, Mr. Fallowfield did his share of the work in the development of Surrey. The first roads in the municipality were built by the settlers and Robert Fallowfield played his part in this pioneer road construction. The name Fallowfield will long be remembered in Surrey.
Surrey Pioneers. Robert Fallowfield. p.66
Mrs. Francis Ann Fallowfield died in September, 1941, and Robert Fallowfield followed her in May 1944.
Robert Fallowfield's family, Clara, Dick, Edna, Francis, Alice, Jennie, Robert, with Frances and Bob Dailey
Edna, Francis Fallowfield, Alice and Clara
Alice, Edna, Clara, Francis, Bob Dailey c1912
Robert Fallowfield and Frances Ann Parr had five children.
Jennie Fallowfield married Harry Johnston Dailey, June 20, 1906. They had 3 children:
Bob Dailey and his sister, Frances Bieberdorf would move to Port Alberni when they grew up where Bob would become a well respected teacher and school bus driver. He was also involved heavily in Track and Field community and the stadium in Port Alberni is now named after him, "The Bob Dailey Stadium". He passed away on October 12, 1989 and was buried at the Surrey Centre Cemetery in Surrey Centre.
Jennie's husband, Henry also died when they two surviving Dailey children were very young and they were subsequently raised by their grandparents, Robert and Frances Fallowfield. Henry passed away in Surrey on May 8, 1912 of complications from stomach cancer.
Dick and Beryl Fallowfield
Richard (Dick) Fallowfield married Elma Beryl Brown July 28, 1926 in Tynehead, Surrey. The former Elma Beryl Brown was born in Orillia, Ontario, and in 1910 came with her parents to Vancouver. In 1918, on a Soldiers' Settlement grant after first World War service, her father, Harry Brown, with his wife and three children moved to a forty–acre piece of the Drinkwater place (now the corner of Fraser Highway and Coast Meridian Road), from where Beryl finished her education at Normal School in Vancouver. In 1924 Elma came to Kensington Prairie to teach. Recalling those days Mrs. Fallowfield said, "It was two rooms and the principal Bill Hampton and I taught all eight grades."
When she married Dick Fallowfield July 28, 1926, he had already built the house the couple lived in opposite the Kensington Prairie School on Brown Road.
Richard and Elma had four children:
All the children were born in New Westminster, BC. The years brought Richard and Elma fifteen grandchildren and all but one family member lived close by.
Sheila Rosemary Fallowfield married George Raymond Homfeld on July 23, 1949. They had three children: Roger George, 1953; David Ralph, 1955; Glen James Richard, 1956.
Shirley Margaret Fallowfield married Earl Albert Ellerman July 26, 1952. They had four children: Sherilee Anne, 1954; Lori Louise, 1955; Earle Brian, 1957; Tracie Dianne, 1958.
Nancy Elizabeth Fallowfield married Wallace Graham Fulton on June 9, 1953 in Kodiak, Alaska. They had four children: Bradley Wallace, 1955; Hazel Nancy, 1957; Kent Richard, 1960; Michael Stephen, 1966.
Richard Kenneth Fallowfield married Joan Patricia Johansen on April 18, 1957. They had four children: Karne Lorraine, 1958; Leslie Kenneth, 1959; Ida Marie, 1960; and Grant Stewart, 1962. Richard and Joan separated in 1975. Richard married Ester Lorraine Olsen on Aug. 15, 1987. Joan is living and enjoying her retirement.
The Fallowfields had a busy life to look back on. Besides working on their 40 acre farm (later reduced to 13 acres), Dick was employed for some time at the Industrial Peat Company in Ladner, and along with other local jobs he was janitor at Kensington Prairie school for twenty–eight years.
Mary Alice Fallowfield married Daniel Allan Johnson Jr. on May 5, 1913. He was the son of Daniel Johnson and Martha Kyle. Daniel and Martha Johnson had been born in Ontario. Mr. Johnson came to British Columbia in the spring of 1879. He rented the property of William Brewer, and was now ready to have his family join him. He arranged to have his wife, and her sister Margaret Kyle, and their four young sons join him on his Mud Bay farm. They traveled from Ontario, by way of Chicago to San Francisco where they boarded a boat for Victoria. The family farmed Mud Bay until 1882 and tied their luck with a rental farm in the Vedder area of Sumas. They were flooded out the first year and decided Mud Bay was a better place. Mr. Johnson rented a farm from Alexander McDougal on the banks of the Nicomekl River at Mud Bay. After two years on the McDougal Farm he moved to his own homestead on the Serpentine River.
In 1887 he purchased from John Chantrell, S.W. 1/4 of S. 33, T. 1, 160 acres and drained and cultivated it, and in about three years it was all under the plow.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson raised a family of eight; six sons and two daughters. His oldest son Daniel Allan married Mary Alice Fallowfield and the two pioneer families were merged.
Mary and Daniel Johnson had one child:
Audrey Frances Oxenham Johnson was born January 8, 1928 in New Westminster. She was an adopted child, a natural niece. Audrey Frances Oxenham Johnson married Stanley Brooks on Feb. 11, 1947 at Mud Bay, Surrey. They had three children: Carol Ann, 1948; Allan John Brooks, 1951; Richard Stanley Brooks, 1954.
Edna Evelyn Fallowfield, born May 10, 1893, married Ernest Charles Dearing November 1927 in Kensington Prairie. They had two children: Keith Ernest Dearing, born March 8, 1931 in Ladner, BC; Beatrice Eunice Dearing, born August 5,1932 in New Westminster.
Keith Ernest Dearing married Anne Kusman on March 14, 1952. They had three children: Mavis Joy Dearing, 1954; Lorie Boyd Dearing, 1956; Dale Bruce Dearing, 1957.
Clara Belle Fallowfield, born September 28, 1894, married John Charles Oxenham on April 16, 1919 in All Saints Church, Ladner, BC. John Oxenham had only recently returned from overseas. He served with the 47th Battalion and left Vernon in June 1915. After a lengthy period of service in the trenches he was seriously wounded and incapacitated from further service.
Mr. Oxenham's mother, Mrs. E. Walker, is an old–time resident of Cloverdale. Many Cloverdale residents journeyed to Ladner to witness the ceremony.
Clara Belle and John Oxenham had three children: Myrtle Jean Oxenham, born December 11, 1921; Arthur John Oxenham, born May 7, 1923; Evelyn Rose Oxenham, born March 25, 1926;
Jean Oxenham married Daniel Scheitaer.
Arthur Oxenham married Sigrid Forsman. They had five children: Charles, Lyn, Raymond, Glen, and Denise.
Evelyn Oxenham married James Ruddick Hastie. They had two children: Gail Darlene, 1945 and Sandra Lee, 1956.
All of the Fallowfield children went to Kensington Prairie School. The first school in the area was held in the Thomas Fallowfield's home. The next school was built on property donated by Edward Parr. All the Fallowfield children went to the Kensington Prairie school built on a half acre corner of Coast Meridian and Mud Bay roads donated by grandfather Parr. Unfortunately the school was subject to seasonal flooding, and as a result, had mold and mildew. Those reasons and a growing student population created a demand for a new school.
Kensington Prairie class of 1896
Kensington Prairie class of 1902
In 1914 the present Kensington Prairie School on Brown Road replaced the one the Fallowfield children had attended. It had two rooms with a basement.
Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield was born in Appleby, Westmoreland, England in 1859. With his brother he immigrated to Canada in 1881, landing in Toronto. The brothers traveled west, via Chicago, by train to San Francisco where they boarded a ship to Victoria, BC. By 1883 they had acquired land in the Kensington Prairie District of Surrey.
Thomas bought land (160 acres) on the north–west corner of Brown and Coast Meridian Roads. This was directly west of the property owned by his brother Robert Fallowfield. The brothers lived together until Robert married and built his own home on his own property. Thomas' home was also the first school in Kensington Prairie.
In his first years in Kensington Prairie, Thomas did his plowing with oxen and hauled logs to the Nicomekl River with 12-horse teams. He also spent a year in the Klondike in 1897. Farm produce was shipped out by boat to markets in Vancouver and Victoria.
Thomas met and married Margaret Kyle. Miss Kyle came with her sister, Mrs. Johnson from their home in Norval County, Ontario in the year 1879. They traveled from Ontario, by way of Chicago to San Francisco where they boarded a boat for Victoria. Margaret was living with her sister at Mud Bay when she met Thomas. Rev. Alexander Dunn married Thomas and Margaret at the Johnson home in Mud Bay. (See the Johnson Family)
Standing: Martha Eliza Kyle (Mrs. Daniel Johnson) Seated: George Kyle and Margaret Kyle (Mrs. T. Fallowfield)
Margaret Fallowfield passed away in 1934 and Tom Fallowfield followed her in 1951.
Margaret Fallowfield (Kyle) at work on the farm with the family dog
Tom and Margaret Fallowfield's home
Thomas and Margaret Fallowfield had five children:
From left to right the members of the Fallowfield family are: Frank Fallowfield, Walter Fallowfield, Charles Fallowfield, Flora Klopp (Fallowfield), Alfred Fallowfield
Florence Fallowfield, born March 5, 1890, married Alexander Klopp on March 28, 1923 in Kensington Prairie, BC. Florence and Alex had two children: Thomas Alexander Klopp, born Dec. 23, 1923 in New Westminster, BC; Margaret Grace Klopp, born September 17,1928 in New Westminster, BC.
Thomas Alexander Klopp married Norma Hargrave on June 15, 1950. They had three children: Roy Thomas Klopp born Feb. 15, 1951; Joy Winona Klopp born Sept. 3, 1952; Rickey Alexander Klopp born Jan.14, 1959.
On the left is Walter and Kate Fallowfield and on the right Walter and Catherine on their 50th Wedding Anniversary
George Walter Fallowfield, born August 13, 1892, married Catherine Jane "Kate" Mervyn Dec. 5, 1916 in New Westminster, BC. Catherine was the daughter of John Mervyn and Genieva Souster. George and Catherine Fallowfield had two children: Catherine Eileen Fallowfield, born My 8, 1919 in New Westminster, BC; Walter Reginald Fallowfield, born on April 14, 1922 in Surrey Centre, BC.
Eileen (Catherine) married Charles Henry (Gerry) Busby on October 5, 1940 In Surrey, BC. They had three children: Brian, 1941; Doris, 1944 and Walter, 1946.
Larry Bonnett, Doris Busby, Heather Bonnett, Brian Busby,
Eileen(Fallowfield)Busby/Bonnett, Eric Bonnett
Catherine, Frank, Reginald
Brian Busby, Tom, Doris Busby, Susan Fallowfield
On Dec. 15, 1962 Eileen (Catherine) married Eric Bonnett in Vancouver, BC. They had two children: Larry, 1946; and Heather, 1947 who were Eric's children from his first marriage.
Walter (Reginald) married Evelyn Agnes White on July 7, 1943. They had two children: Susan Ethelyn born Feb. 4, 1947; Frank Walter born Sept. 30, 1948.
Susan Evelyn married Glenn Ernest Bohl in New Westminster on August 12, 1968. They had two children; Kelly Michelle, 1972 and Jamie Paul, 1974.
Charles Thomas Fallowfield, born November 3, 1892, married Eva Grace Mervyn October 24, 1922 in Cloverdale, BC. Eva was the daughter of John Mervyn and Genieva Souster, and was the sister of Catherine, George Fallowfield's wife. Charles and Eva Fallowfield had three children: Charles Irwin Fallowfield born March 17, 1926 in New Westminster, BC; Eva Gwendolyn Fallowfield born December 9, 1927 in Surrey Centre, BC; Allen Leonard Fallowfield born August 5,1933 in Surrey Centre, BC.
Charles Irwin married Marjorie Frances Graham Nov. 11, 1946 in Surrey, BC. They had three children: John Thomas, 1947; Colleen Eveann, 1953; and Larry Allen, 1959.
Eva Gwendolyn married Harvey Edward LaPierre in Cloverdale, BC on July 27, 1950. They had four children: Stephen Allen, 1951; David Michael, 1953; Bill, 1957; Robert Thomas, 1960.
Allen Leonard married Doreen Fay Gerlitz in Calgary on August 27, 1960. They had three children: Ronald Allen, 1961; Linda Jean, 1962; Douglas John, 1963.
Frank James Fallowfield, born November 2, 1894, never married. He stayed on the family farm which he worked with his father. When the original homestead was sold they bought a smaller farm on the Sunnyside Road, west of the Pacific Highway. After his father's death, he went to live with his sister, Florence, in Bridgeview (near Scott Road Skytrain station).
Florence, Tom, Charlie
David Alfred Fallowfield, born July 2, 1896, married Florence Maud Parsons October 31, 1928 in Port Kells, BC.David and Florence lived in Port Kells until 1973 when they moved to Langley. David was a grader operator for the Municipality of Surrey for 35 years. He was a member of the Fort Langley Golden Agers Association. He passed away in Langley on Oct 31, 1984. He was predeceased by his wife Florence.
David and Florence had one child: Gordon Fallowfield, born on August 11, 1935 in New Westminster, BC.
Gordon married Ida Marjorie Stromberg in New Norway, Alberta on Sept. 9, 1960. They had three children: David Gordon, 1965; Pamela Anne, 1967; Jill Corrine, 1968; Michael Glenn, 1973.
Florence, Tom, Charlie, Frank, Walter