The early roads in Ocean Park were given the names of the local residents or those who built the road or were responsible for the road being built. The resident might have giving the land so a road could be built, or the person who lived on the road may have named it.
Large areas of Ocean Park were owned by the United Church, including Kwomais Point Park, so some roads were named after early original Syndicate land owners. Many of the Ocean Park roads were very short, some only ran to the nearest crossroad. Later on Surrey became responsible for building the roads and extended some. Often roads did not extend to the lengths they do today so different sections of what is the same road were given different names.
13 Ave. – "Sanford" (from 128 St. to 131 St.) – named after Rev. A. M. Sanford, O. M. Sanford and O. Mclean Sanford who all had cottages on it.
14 Ave. – "Lowewood" (from 130 St. to 132 St.) – named after Mr. and Mrs. William R. Lowe and the Hazelwoods. Members of the Lowe family continue to resided on the property: son, Maurice and Anna Lowe, grand children, Bernard Lowe and Diana Fader.
14 Ave. – "Desmond" (west off Bergstrom), did not connect up with Lowewood until later.
14A Ave. – "Darwin" (from 128 St. to 130 St.) – named after Dr. Oliver Darwin who built a home here in 1927. He was a noted botanist and educator.
14A Ave. – "Ferndale" (from 127A St. to the railway property)
14B Ave. – "Howard" (from 128 St. to the railway property) – named after Mrs. Jessie Howard, who built the first cottage on it. Her daughters Hazel Laronde and Connie McKeigan grew up and raised families in Ocean Park.
15 Ave. – "Giblin" (from 128 St. to the railway property) – named after George Giblin, First World War veteran, worked for the Great Northern Railway. His home was called "Seaforth Cottage". Some homes had no numbers and instead had names.
15A Ave. – "Horner" (from 128 St. to the railway property) – named after John Horner, who originally owned waterfront acreage up to Stevenson.
15A Ave. – "Avon" (from 130 to 131 Streets).
16 Ave. – "North Bluff" (west to the railway property). One of the early main roads.
18 Ave. – "Sylvan" (from 128th St. to the railway property). In the beginning it only went halfway down its present length. The kids had to make their way through the bush to school.
20 Ave. – "Stokes", before that "Matthiessen".
22 Ave. – "Urquhart" (from 128th St. to Ocean Park Road).
23 Ave. – "Griffin" (from 128th St. to Ocean Park Road).
24 Ave. – "Sunnyside" (one of the early main roads).
126A St. – "Ocean Park Road" (126A then 124A St.) (from 14A Ave. to 25th Ave.).
127 St. – "Welch" (from 15th to 14B Ave.) – named after Dave and Alice Welch. Their son, Don and Marj still reside in the area.
128 St. – "Stevenson" (from 12 Ave. to Mud Bay) – named after Ben and Emelia Stevenson, pioneer settlers. (See Stevenson Family)
128A St. – "McArthur" (from 14B to the railway property.) – named after Dougal McArthur, building supervisor of community hall.
129 St. – "Milliken" (from 14B to the railway property) – named after Rev. Robert Milliken, member of the original Syndicate [of land owners] and trail builder.
129A St. – "Tuttle" (from 14B to the railroad.) – named after Dr. Aubrey Tuttle, Principal of St. Stephen's College, Edmonton, whose cottage was at the foot of the road.
128B St. – "Taylor" (from 14B to the railroad.) – named after Luther W. Taylor, principal of Grandview High School of Commerce, a cottage owner.
130 St. – "Broatch" (from approx. 18th to the railroad.) – named after Thomas Broatch, road foreman, who cleared many of the roads. Members of this family still reside in the area.
131 St. – "Olympic", really "Olympic View Road", (from 16th to railroad property) because the Olympic Mountains, USA could be viewed from there.
132 St. – "Wright" (from 24th to 28th Ave.)
132 St. – "Orchard Road" (from 16th to Marine Drive) – after T. B. Lee's hazelnut orchard that ran down from 16th Ave. to the railroad property.
132B St. – "Creelman" (from Marine Drive to the railroad).
136 St. – "Bergstrom Road", also "Gordon", after John and George Gordon, who are marked as landowners on a 1910 map.
25 Ave. – "Cotton Drive" (from 128 St. to Ocean Park Road) – named after early Ocean Park resident, real estate agent, notary, Peter Cotton.
"Christopherson Road", (at the foot of 24th Ave., running parallel to the bluff), named after a pioneer family.
After the initial construction of pioneer roads, Surrey was responsible for building and up keep of the roads.
North Bluff, Sunnyside and Stevenson Roads were considered the main roads, so in 1948, Crescent Park School was built at the corner of Stevenson Road (128th St.) and Sunnyside (24th Ave.) In 1949, Ray Shepherd School was built at the corner of North Bluff Road (16th Ave.) and Bergstrom Road (136th St.).
In 1957, a municipal ordinance was passed to change street names to numbers. With that decision, a visible sign of our history was lost.
Ocean Park has "road ends" that run to the bluff and down to the railway property. There has always been speculation that perhaps someday these "road ends" could be used as access to a promenade along the beach front. Maybe our early residents were looking to the future when they decided to keep control of the road ends.