Newton took its name from one of the early pioneers, Mr. Elias John Newton, who settled on Newton Road near Sandell around 1886. The Newton family gave their name to an entire community. It is said that the Newtons had a large orchard and raised horses. Two of the boys went off to the Boer War in South Africa and lost their lives.
The upland areas of Surrey were some of the last areas to develop due to the problems of clearing the heavily forested land. The Semiahmoo Road ran through the Newton region, on the east, and gave access to early hand loggers and settlers. Scott Road ran through the Newton region on the west. However, the development of the BC Electric Railway in 1910 opened up the area for more extensive development. Newton Station was at the junction with Bergstrom Road(136th Street), near Newton Road(72nd Ave.). It was primarily a platform with a shed shelter and a few benches, but it gave a focal name to the area. With improved access lumber and single mills located in the area along the rail line. The Hiland/Sullivan lumber Company established a mill in Newton, the legacy of which is Hyland Avenue along the BC Southern Railway tracks. The King and Farris Lumber Company also operated a mill west of Bergstrom Road along the BC Electric Tracks. Most of its timber came out of the North Surrey area.
A small store had opened to service the mill workers, and local settlers. It was located where Newton Fire Hall now stands. This was purchased by Lew Jack in 1918, and developed into a much larger operation, selling groceries, meat, clothes, shoes, stove wood, coal and lumber. In 1925 Lew Jack built a new house near the store for his growing family. That house is now the Old Surrey Restaurant on 72nd Avenue. The property formerly had a logging camp located on it.
The late 1920's saw the decline in local milling operations as the supply of local lumber was exhausted. However, about that period the general depression and drought in the Canadian Prairies saw many farm families come to Newton and locate on small holdings. In addition the opening of the Patullo Bridge in 1937 and the opening of the King George Highway in 1940 saw Newton develop as a service center along the new highway.
The original Newton, opened in 1914, was located on the north-west corner of Newton Road and King George Highway (72nd Ave and 136th Street). It was originally a four room school with a full basement. In the late 1940s a one-room addition was added on the south-east corner parallel to the highway and it was used for the primary grades.
Extensive settlement in the Newton region did not take place until logging had cleared most of the heavy trees. The heaviest settlement occurred after 1945 with the development and availability of the bulldozer for clearing the properties. Surrey encouraged industrial growth along the BC Electric rail line to the north west of the Newton commercial core. Initially commercial development was a strip development along King George.
Since the Second World War the Newton District has seen significant commercial, industrial and residential development.